Job assignments include sorting donations, laundry, poop scooping, cleaning, yard work, etc. You may also occasionally assist with walking and socializing our pets; however, the main focus will be on maintaining a clean and tidy home for them to enjoy until their forever families find them. Workers are often asked to jump from task to task as priorities shift throughout the day. Please be flexible and prepared to be busy! Work environments include an indoor climate controlled shelter and uncovered outdoor spaces.
- Attend training sessions as required by Mostly Mutts
- Treat animals in our care with kindness and concern for their welfare always having their safety and best interest in mind
- Represent yourself and Mostly Mutts in a professional manner and treat potential adopters, visitors, staff, volunteers, and other workers with respect.
- Pay a registration fee of $20 (includes a Mostly Mutts T-Shirt)
- Community Service workers must arrive at 10:30 am on the days that you are working for a morning meeting/orientation before beginning for the day. Anyone showing up more than 5 minutes late will be unable to earn hours that day. Please plan ahead to assure you will be on-time for your shift and report to the front office to sign in.
- Service hours are typically available Monday-Friday from 10:30 to 4:30 pm or until you need to leave but no later than 4:30 pm. You have flexibility in the time you leave just not in the time you arrive. However, you must set your leave time and stick to it. Leaving early will count as a call-out.
- For safety reasons, we ask that workers do not wear hoop earrings or open toe shoes (NO Flip Flops or Sandals allowed). Also, please dress accordingly for the weather, as most, if not all of the shift will be spent outside. We also clean, work with bleach and sometimes get jumped on by muddy pups, so please wear clothes that you are okay with becoming dirty or “ruined”.
- No smoking, chewing of tobacco, or use of electronic cigarettes allowed on Mostly Mutts’ property.
- No leaving the work area without permission.
- No talking to outside friends during work. In addition you may not bring or allow any unauthorized persons to stay at the shelter.
- No cell phone calls/texts/use unless there is an emergency.
- You may use a Mostly Mutts’ time sheet or your own to track your hours. Hours may only be signed off by staff members. You are responsible for ensuring your time sheets are signed daily at the end of your shift. Mostly Mutts does not keep a record of these hours. If your time sheet is lost, you must perform the hours again.
- Breaks & Lunch: Volunteers working 4 or more hours can take a 15 minute break after 2 hours of work. Volunteers who work 6 or more hours can take an additional 30 minute break after 4 hours of work. 30 minute breaks are not included in hours worked. We have a community kitchen for volunteer use if desired. Volunteers are welcome to bring their lunch. Volunteers must inform a staff member when they are taking their break/lunch. Breaks or lunch cannot be taken at the end of a shift.